Tuesday 1 January 2019

Trying to Learn Piano: 3

The Well Tempered Clavier?... More like The Bad Tempered Keyboard Guy.
 So I checked out some guy on the internet and he advised that Bach's prelude in C major is an ideal starter piece of music. I happened to be in Sawbridgeworth and their charity shop had a book with it in.
Sawbridgeworth is quite a middle class and well to do place, so you can expect to find a much higher strata of stuff in their charity shops!
Now this is my first foray into the world of proper classical music and I must say that it appears poorly organised. For one thing;  none of these composers appear to have much talent when it comes to naming their songs.
Bach wrote this book of fugues (don't ask me...I thought it was something to do with being a naked crack chef in breaking bad). He has called them all things like 'prelude 1' or 'fugue 2 in B major'. This is very lazy in my opinion and highlights a poor work ethic.
Surely it would have been the work of but a moment to come up with a cool title like 'Things about to get Fuguey up in here y'all' or 'Captain fuguetabulous's journey to the centre of funk'. Maybe you can suggest some titles in the comments section.
In any case, the book is called 'The well tempered Clavier'. I'm not sure what a clavier is (was it a type of Vauxhall?) or why it should be in such a great temper. Whenever I try to. To play prelude in C major, my temper frays to the point of near incandescence & I shout at the kids to stop making so much damn noise and leave me alone to fugue in peace. This is probably ironical in some way.

Also, Bach did not bother to write a proper index at all. Oh no, he just put in the first measure of each tune (so not terribly accessible Mr Bach, maybe think about marketing implications). He also has no twitter account which is just rude.
Next week I am going to tune my car radio to Classic fm. Classic fm is a thing that you have to listen to if you are trying to be a proper musician. They have kindly presenters with smooth bassy voices designed to make middle class white people feel safe and stop worrying about local kids playing too close to their hedges.
I pity the Fugue who doesn't prelude in C major


No comments:

Post a Comment