Tuesday 1 January 2019

Trying to Learn Piano :1

Piano players are surely gods in human form? This is the conclusion I have come to in my journey to try and learn piano.
So in early September I decided that it was high time that I learned  piano (and also to read music after playing guitar for like 20 years).
I am tired of being embarrassed by the 'real' musicians in our band. Sneering at us 'mere mortals' who don't understand 'intervals' and 'deceptive cadence'.
So with hope in my heart and £70 English pounds in my pocket I took a trip to Aldi and purchased a handsome keyboard (which promised to hone my technique by the use of red lights on the keys).
Although none of the instrument tones on the keyboard appear to have been modelled by anyone with human hearing, I was undeterred and proceeded to find a YouTube teacher (Andrew Furmanzyk). Andrew promised to teach me piano in seven easy lessons (& 34 very hard ones). Unfortunately for me,; lesson three (or thereabouts) appeared to be.. 'Go and learn to read sheet music' & so I was stumped.

No matter. I can't expect to be great at piano after only playing for three weeks. I will employ the services of a 'bona fide' piano tutor to 'warp speed' me through the process. 'Make it so Mr Laforge'. 

 I fired up google from the comfort of my office (away from the prying eyes of my boss) & accessed a list of local piano teachers only to be met with a fresh dilemma. I knew most of these people very well... our children play together, I drink beer with their husbands  from time to time. I can't employ someone to teach me who I may very well have to sack. They might prove inefficient in turning me into a balding Chopin inside of six months. It would ruin a perfectly good friendship. What if I need to ask them to babysit for me in the future but they won't speak to me anymore because I poo poo'd their pedal technique or something?
Tune in for the next thrilling instalment of Trying to learn Piano' The next time I can be bothered to write it. I have to go and practice Bach's prelude in C Major on  my keyboards 'popular tones' setting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment