Monday 17 February 2020

Viking Funeral For My Pants


As has previously been discussed here; I find it hard to let go of things. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the area of my wardrobe. Some of the clothing items there have been with me for over a decade. This is not because of any environmentally conscious mind-set  on my part. But rather due to the fact that, at some unconscious level, I expect  all of my clothing to last forever and cannot really appreciate that some vestments need to be consigned to the dustbin. I often refer to certain shirts as ‘my new shirt’ despite the fact that I actually purchased it three of four years hence.

As a psychotically organised individual; I have a strict method to clothing storage. Trousers on one side, then shirts then warm clothing. As I am the only one in the household who every puts laundry away, this system has been rigidly observed for some years. I have two rails of clothing (one atop the other). The top rail for smart work wear and the bottom for the shambolic crap that I dress in at home.

When a new item of clothing arrives it heralds the  beginning of an arduous, decade long process of being digested by the Salak of my wardrobe system. For two or three years it will remain  on the ‘best work wear’ rack. But then the inevitable happens and I must sadly admit that it is looking frayed and old. At which point it is demoted to the lower ‘casual wear’ rack.

From this point on it is a slow decline for another four years or so until it has too many holes or stains in to be safe to wear outside the house.  The last three years are a shameful time for it as I refuse to throw it out but wear it when relaxing at home . Then finally I have to get rid of it.

My last pair of jeans reached this Nadir a few months back and I just couldn’t bring myself to chuck them out. They had holes in which I had repeatedly repaired but even I had to admit that jeans with a massive rip across the groinal area were a fashion ‘faux pa’s even for me. It had gotten to the point that I couldn’t sit across from anyone without the risk of seriously indecent exposure.

In the end I have landed upon the perfect solution. Like the Vikings of old, I now send the ‘honoured dead’ to their fabric afterlife upon a flame filled chariot (which is to say that I chuck my old clothing in the stolid fuel burner in the winter mornings in order to keep warm).

Watching  as my clothing gradually surrenders to the fierce glory of the flames  feels epic and allows me some form of primal closure. I feel as if I am some ancient warrior  shooting a fiery shaft  into a longboat  and standing in solemn silence to watch it burn  as it drifts away.

‘ A pair of great trousers comes to meet their fellows in Valhalla this day. Trousers that have rode out many storms in this life. Though vicious stains were visited upon them and farts beyond number ravaged the brave fabric of their gusset they stood true. But now they come home. To the great Levi 501’s store of the skies. There they will be born aloft on the legs of worthy hero’s and never again kicked under my bed and forgotten about for weeks on end’

And then I set a match to them and watch them burn. But only after cutting off some of the material to make Barbie doll dresses for my daughter. I mean for goodness sakes, I have to have SOMETHING to remember them by!

 



New and better blogsite coming later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment